This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Neighbor News

Stop Genocide in Gaza

Letter to the Editor Local Paper Aug 17, 2014

Nothing about genocide in Gaza

In the Aug. 10 article titled “Obama: Stop genocide in Iraq,” what immediately came to mind was why there had been no article titled: “Obama: Stop genocide in Gaza.” There have been 448 Palestinian children killed in Gaza since July 8 and more than 2,000 injured. Our U.S. Congress on its last day in session passed an appropriation bill for $225 million of our tax dollars to go to fund the Israeli military machine that is responsible for the massacre of the children. The United Nations is investigating Israel for war crimes in Gaza in spite of the lone U.S. vote against the investigation. It is entirely reasonable that the United States be held accountable for these war crimes as well because we have aided and abetted Israel with our billions of dollars going to fund this genocide.

In the Aug. 11 article titled “Israel, Hamas accept Egyptian truce proposal,” inside it is another title, “11-year-old killed,” and it is about Israeli forces killing this boy in front of his home inside a refugee camp in Hebron in the West Bank. A story about this same incident by the Maan News Agency in Israel is titled: “Israeli forces shoot, kill 12-year-old Palestinian boy near Hebron.” This is a stand alone story (http://maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=719498) with the following info: “Palestinian medical sources at Hebron’s al-Ahli Hospital told Maan that Khalil Muhammad Ahmad al-Anati arrived at the hospital after being shot in the back.” There is also a picture of the boy. The article ends with the line: “ An Israeli military spokeswoman did not return calls seeking comment.”

Find out what's happening in Hartlandfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The article in our paper does not give the boy’s name nor is there a photo nor is it mentioned that the boy was shot in the back. The article ends with: “The military said its forces encountered a “violent riot” and opened fire. It acknowledged that the boy was killed in the violence and said it was investigating.” Will we get a follow-up article with the results of the investigation from an Israeli military spokeswoman?

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?

More from Hartland