Crime & Safety
Oxford HS Officials May Not Testify In James Crumbley's Trial: Reports
Prosecutors said the witnesses may not be able to testify again "due to emotional impact of witness testimony," according to reports.
PONTIAC, MI — Multiple witnesses who experienced the deadly Oxford school shooting first-hand and testified in the shooter's mother's trial, may not take the stand again during the shooter's father's upcoming trial, according to multiple reports, citing court documents.
Prosecutors said the officials may not be able to testify again "due to emotional impact of witness testimony," and are looking to replace the witnesses with multiple students who were shot and injured in the deadly rampage, according to reports.
The students also gave impact statements at the shooter's sentencing hearing in December when the shooter was sentenced to life without parole.
Find out what's happening in Rochester-Rochester Hillsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
James Crumbley, 47, was charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the deadly shooting. He faces up to 15 years in prison on each charge. His trial will start on March 5.
Defense lawyers for James argued the students should not be allowed to testify, because their testimony "would only serve to enflame the emotions of the jury," according to court documents.
Find out what's happening in Rochester-Rochester Hillsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"The horrific testimony about what occurred in the school is not relevant and would certainly enflame the emotions of the jury and confuse them as to what the relevant issues are," defense lawyer Mariell Lehman wrote. "Details of what the victims of the shooter's actions experienced are irrelevant to the elements of the charges against Mr. Crumbley and are not relevant to the material issues of the elements of the charged offenses."
Oakland County Circuit Judge Cheryl Matthews will rule on the matter on Feb. 21.
The shooter's mother, and James' wife Jennifer Crumbley was found guilty on four counts of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the deadly shooting. Her sentencing is set for April 9 at 9 a.m. No students nor the shooter testified in her trial.
Prosecutors did not say which officials may not be able to testify, but Oxford High School Assistant Principal Kristy Gibson-Marshall and teacher Molly Darnell gave emotional testimony during Jennifer Crumbley's trial earlier this month.
Gibson-Marshall testified about trying to save a dying student who was shot in the head and locking eyes with the shooter during the deadly rampage. The student was 16-year-old Tate Myre who died from his injuries.
Darnell testified about seeing the shooter raise a gun to her outside her office and fire multiple shots at her, striking her in the shoulder.
Prosecutors are trying to prove James committed gross negligence leading up to the shooting. They claim the James ignored disturbing warning signs from their son leading up to the deadly shooting, and instead of getting him help, bought him a gun.
Jurors will only need to believe one of two theories to declare Crumbley guilty: That James failed to perform a legal duty in patenting, or that he knew his son was a danger to others and failed to take the ordinary care steps to avoid injuring others.
Defense lawyers maintain he had no idea what his son was planning. Moreover, defense lawyers argued James cannot be held accountable because he was not "directly involved" in the Oxford school shooting, and are not "responsible for the deaths of others."
The four students killed in the shooting were 14-year-old Hana St. Juliana, 16-year-old Tate Myre, 17-year-old Madisyn Baldwin and 17-year-old Justin Shilling.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.