Politics & Government
Jason Lewis 'Appalled' Home Was 'Invaded' By Protesters
Minnesota's Republican Rep. Jason Lewis said he was "appalled" when he learned protesters demonstrated at his home Wednesday.

Jason Lewis, a U.S. House Republican who represents many of the suburbs in the south Twin Cities metro, said on Facebook Wednesday he was "appalled" to find out that his home had been "invaded" by protesters. "Suffice it to say it is more than a bit disturbing to get a call from your neighbor saying his daughters were afraid and called him to contact the police," Lewis said.
The demonstration, organized and live-steamed by TakeAction Minnesota, was a protest of Medicaid cuts that were proposed as Republicans attempted to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act.
"Our district office has also experienced demonstrations in blatant violation of well-established security rules that have escalated to the point of causing real concern to my staff and the constituents who desire to speak to them," Lewis added.
Find out what's happening in Burnsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Sadly, instead of condemning such threatening behavior, declared candidates on the other side of the aisle have actually participated in these spectacles and encouraged this wanton disregard of civility." (For more local news, click here to sign up for real-time news alerts and newsletters from Minnesota Patch, click here to find your local Minnesota Patch. Also, follow us on Facebook, and if you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app.)
Lewis also said the demonstration at his home wasn't just immature, but "a dangerous ramping up of rhetoric that already has one of my House colleagues in rehab from a vicious attack," referring to the shooting of Republican Rep. Steve Scalise.
Find out what's happening in Burnsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Beyond increasing security measures, we are investigating what action to take. But this dangerous targeting of people, staffs, associates and now families must stop. And stop now."
Protesters respond
After delivering a letter to his Lewis' house, TakeAction Minnesota released the following statement:
For months, constituents have asked for a town hall. They are worried about dangerous Medicaid cuts that will be debated as soon as Congress returns from recess. Seniors, people living with disabilities, and caregivers in Rep. Lewis’s district have stories to share with him. His constituents would rather have a conversation at a town hall, than deliver a letter to his door.
Watch video of the protest at Lewis' home below:
Photo credit: House Budget Committee members, Rep. Jason Lewis, R-Minn., left, and Rep. Jack Bergman, R-Mich., right, listen as Committee Chair Rep. Diane Black, R-Tenn., begins work on the Republican health care bill, Thursday, March, 16, 2017, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.