Crime & Safety

O.J. Simpson Released On Parole After Serving 9 Years For Robbery

After nine years in prison for robbery, Simpson was freed on parole early Sunday morning.

The Juice is loose. After serving nine years in prison for robbery, O.J. Simpson was released early Sunday morning, just minutes after he became eligible for parole.

His lawyer had said on Friday that he didn't think Simpson would be released until later in the week because prisoners are rarely released on parole over the weekend.

It's not clear if he was trying to distract the press or if he didn't know.

Find out what's happening in Las Vegasfor free with the latest updates from Patch.


Watch: O.J. Simpson Released From Prison After 9 Years


The Nevada Department of Corrections released photos of Simpson signing his paperwork and then walking out.

Find out what's happening in Las Vegasfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

A prison official told Simpson not to come back. He said he had no plans to do so.

Simpson had been convicted of robbing two memorabilia dealers in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2007. He was sentenced to 33 years in prison but granted parole in July. He will remain under the supervision of the Nevada Division of Parole and Probation for five more years.

Simpson was famously acquitted in 1995 of charges he murdered his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, a waiter at a nearby restaurant.

Two years later a jury found him civilly liable for their deaths and ordered to pay $33.5 million to their families, something he has so far avoided doing.

As for what's next for Simpson, his lawyer, Malcom LaVergne told ABC's Good Morning America on Friday that: "There's no doubt he's going to Florida.

"He wants to go to Florida, he wants to see his family and hug his family on the outside of prison. He wants to eat seafood, he wants to eat steak.

LaVergne told Good Morning America that Simpson "is going to live his life." (For more information on this and other Las Vegas stories, subscribe to Patch to receive daily newsletters and breaking news alerts. If you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app.)

He wants to enjoy the very simple pleasures that he hasn't enjoyed in nine years," LaVergne said, citing the "latest iPhone as one of those pleasures.

It's not clear where Simpson will relocate though his friend Tom Scotto has offered his home in Naples.

Not all of Florida is preparing to welcome Simpson with open arms.

Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi wrote a letter to the state's corrections department chief saying Florida should notify all appropriate authorities of Nevada that Florida objects to granting Simpson permission to relocate there.

"Floridians are well aware of Mr. Simpson’s background, his wanton disregard for the lives of others, and of his scofflaw attitude with respect to the heinous acts for which he has been found civilly liable," Bondi wrote. "The specter of his residing in comfort in Florida should not be an option.

"Numerous law enforcement officials in Florida agree with this position. Our state should not become a country club for this convicted criminal.”

It's not known when Florida officials will decide whether or not to accept Simpson.

Former football legend O.J. Simpson signs documents at the Lovelock Correctional Center, Sunday, October 1 2017, in Lovelock, Nev. Simpson was released from the Lovelock Correctional Center in northern Nevada early Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017. (Brooke Keast/Nevada Department of Corrections via AP)

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Las Vegas