Schools

Arlen Gets Support Ahead of Paralympics

The swimmer could be ruled ineligible in swimming events.

Exeter's Victoria Arlen, whose gold medal bid in the London Paralympics could be jeopardized, received support from U.S. officials ahead of her first race tomorrow.

Arlen, a 17-year-old swimmer who attends , was declared not disabled enough by the International Paralympic Committee earlier this week. U.S. officials appealed the ruling, allowing her to compete. The IPC will issue a final ruling on her eligibility after she swims.

“We firmly believed that Victoria Arlen’s original sport (classification) was correct and we followed the IPC’s appeal process to ensure that her case was given full and proper consideration," said Charlie Huebner, secretary general of the U.S. Delegation, in a statement. "Victoria is a world class athlete and incredible ambassador for the Paralympic movement. Team USA is looking forward to her competing in her first Paralympic Games event on Saturday.”

Find out what's happening in Exeterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Arlen is paralyzed from the waist down after she was afflicted by the spinal cord disease transverse myelitis.

WMUR-TV spoke with Victoria's mother, who said her daughter has been the subject of a "witch hunt."

Find out what's happening in Exeterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Her mother said the situation has motivated Victoria to compete harder.

Arlen earned international attention earlier this year when she several Paralympic world records in swimming.

On Saturday, she will compete in the qualifying races in 400-meter freestyle. She currently holds the world record in that event.

Arlen's biggest competitor is Ellie Simmonds, a British native who has achondroplasia, which causes drawfism.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.