Crime & Safety

In Nutley: Burglar Breaks Down Front Door, Police Say

Nutley police reported that a burglary took place at an occupied home in town, the second such incident in a month.

Nutley, NJ – Nutley police reported that a burglary took place at an occupied home in town last week, the second such incident in a month.

According to the Nutley Police Department, a Walnut Street resident said that someone entered their home around 11 a.m. on June 2.

The victim told police that they were on the first floor of their home when they heard the doorbell ring. The victim didn’t answer, police said.

Find out what's happening in Belleville-Nutleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

According to police, shortly afterwards, the victim heard someone banging on the front door. At that time, the victim grabbed their keys and allegedly saw a man break through the door and enter the home.

The intruder then fled and the victim ran out the back door, police said.

Find out what's happening in Belleville-Nutleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The victim described the suspect as a white male, about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds with a small mustache.

Nutley police are asking anyone with information about the incident to contact police headquarters at (973) 284-4940.

Nutley Police Chief Thomas Strumolo stated that residents who find themselves in a similar situation to yell from an upstairs window or through the door to alert the person that someone is in the home.

If the party is unknown, residents should call the police, Strumolo stated.

The June 2 incident is the second reported robbery of an occupied home in Nutley in a month.

In May, Nutley police announced that officers are investigating a “brazen” home burglary that took place on Hay Avenue while the resident was at home.

Sign up for Patch NJ email newsletters here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.