Crime & Safety

Additional Charge For Teen In Attack On Central Student: Prosecutor

The four involved in the attack on Adriana Kuch before she took her life have been charged, and an additional charge has been filed.

Students protest in the wake of the death of their classmate, Adriana Kuch. Kuch took her own life after experiencing an attack at school.
Students protest in the wake of the death of their classmate, Adriana Kuch. Kuch took her own life after experiencing an attack at school. (Veronica Flesher/Patch)

BERKELEY, NJ — An additional charge has been filed against one of the juveniles involved in the Feb. 1 attack on a Central Regional student before she took her own life, the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office announced Thursday.

Based on the ongoing investigation, Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer said that the teenager charged with harassment was also charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated assault. The charge was filed on Feb. 21, Billhimer said.

That teen was served with a copy of the complaint and released pending future court appearances, Billhimer said.

Find out what's happening in Berkeleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Three other teens were also previously charged in the attack. One was charged with aggravated assault and two were charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, Billhimer previously told Patch. Read more: 4 Central Teens Charged In Recorded Attack Following Student's Suicide

The attack, which was filmed and spread via social media, occurred days before the victim, 14-year-old Adriana Kuch, took her own life.

Find out what's happening in Berkeleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Kuch's death and the school district's response to it have drawn a great deal of controversy over the past few weeks, with many protesting and demanding change.

Previous Coverage

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.