Politics & Government
NJ Seeks To Privatize Management At Troubled Veterans Home In Edison
The move comes after federal authorities threatened to cut off some funding for the veterans home at Menlo Park due to safety violations.

EDISON, NJ — The Murphy administration is seeking to privatize the management at the troubled veterans home in Edison after federal authorities threatened to cut off some funding.
On Wednesday, Gov. Phil Murphy announced that the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs will look for an outside company to manage the veterans homes at Menlo Park, Paramus and Vineland.
This move comes after Murphy announced last week he was sending a team of administrators to the Menlo Park veterans home to address the various safety violations. More: State Sends Team To Edison Veterans Home After Safety Violations
Find out what's happening in Edison-Metuchenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The vendor will be tasked with “improving operations” at all three veterans homes.
“Improving the care our veterans are receiving in each of the three State-run veterans homes remains a crucial priority of my Administration,” Murphy said in a statement.
Find out what's happening in Edison-Metuchenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“Sending a Mission Critical Team into Menlo Park to guide and advise facility staff was an important step in working towards this goal, but is certainly not the only step we must take. By seeking experienced leadership – the best of the best – to oversee systemic reforms and bring seasoned staff on board, we will harness the expertise and impartiality of an outside vendor to ensure the implementation of thorough, long-lasting reforms in these homes.”
Once chosen, the vendor would immediately become Interim CEO at the Menlo Park Veterans Memorial Home, while working to find a suitable replacement for the position.
Changes will be first be made at the Menlo Park veterans home, before being applied to the other two locations.
“The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and our interagency partners are moving aggressively to ensure the highest standards of care for the veterans, veteran spouses, and Gold Star Families in our care,” Brig. Gen. Lisa J. Hou said in a statement.
“We are in a daily battle with COVID-19 and our team welcomes this anticipated support. As a physician and a combat veteran, I have known no greater mission than the one we face in this fight to protect our heroes.”
Nearly 100 residents died at the Menlo Park Veterans Memorial Home during the height of the coronavirus pandemic.
The Murphy administration was widely criticized for how it managed the state-run veterans home during the pandemic.
In August, the state agreed to pay an eight-digit settlement to resolve claims that its veteran's homes mishandled the early days of COVID-19. This after New Jersey agreed to pay nearly $69 million to families of deceased residents and staff. More: Lawsuits Pile On After NJ Agrees To $16M For Veteran's Home Deaths
A group of NJ legislators, including Sen. Joseph Vitali (D-Middlesex) and Sen. John Cryan (D-Union), have been working to develop reforms at state-run veterans home.
Vitali said bringing in a “first-rate" outside vendor was “absolutely critical” to the well-being of the residents of the veterans home.
Cryan said he agreed with Murphy’s decision and sees it as an important step towards to restoring confidence and accountability.
“Our veterans deserve experts who understand all aspects of long-term care management and can bring that expertise into these homes to give New Jersey's veterans the quality of care they deserve in honor of the sacrifices they have made on behalf of this nation,” Cryan said in a statement.
Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.