Crime & Safety
Freehold Man, 2 Others Charged In 2019 Asbury Park Shootings
Freehold resident Antonio Pabon, 26, was involved in both December 2019 shootings, according to the county prosecutor's office.
FREEHOLD, NJ – Three men are facing charges related to two separate shootings in Asbury Park last year, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.
One of the men, Freehold resident Antonio Pabon, was involved in both shootings, Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni said. The shootings reportedly served as part of a clash between rivals in December.
Pabon, 26, was charged in both a Dec. 2, 2019 shooting in the 1200 block of Washington Avenue and a Dec. 4, 2019 shooting on Mattison Avenue, the prosecutor’s office said.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Freehold man is facing two counts each of first degree conspiracy to commit murder, first degree attempted murder, second degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, second degree unlawful possession of a weapon, and one count of second degree possession of a community firearm.
Izais Normil, 24, of Neptune Township, faces charges of first degree conspiracy to commit murder, first degree attempted murder, second degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, second degree possession of a community firearm and second degree unlawful possession of a weapon for the Mattison Avenue shooting.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Ja’air Butler, 24, of Asbury Park, also faces charges of first degree conspiracy to commit murder, first degree attempted murder, second degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose, second degree possession of a community firearm, second degree unlawful possession of a weapon and second degree certain persons not to possess weapons for the Mattison Avenue shooting.
All three men remain detained at Monmouth County Correctional Institution.
The conspiracy to commit murder or attempted murder charge carries a sentence of up to 20 years in a New Jersey state prison for each count, subject to the provisions of the No Early Release Act. The conviction would also require one be under parole supervision for five years following release from prison.
If convicted of the second degree weapons offenses, each man faces a sentence of up to ten years in prison with a period of up to three years that must be served prior to becoming eligible for parole, according to the prosecutor’s office.
The investigation into both shootings remains ongoing. Anyone with information about the case is to call Det. Patrick Petruzziello or Det. John Sosdian of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office at (800) 533-7443 or Det. Lemar Whittaker or Det. Cynthia Yost of the Asbury Park Police Department at (732) 774-1300. Anonymous tips can be provided to Monmouth County Crime Stoppers by calling 1-(800) 671-4400; or online via https://www.p3tips.com/1182.
The case is assigned to Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutor Matthew Bogner of the Office’s Major Crimes Bureau, Asbury Park Satellite Office.
Have a news tip? Email nicole.rosenthal@patch.com.
Click here to get Patch email notifications, or get breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our app, download here. Follow Freehold Patch on Facebook.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.