Crime & Safety

Police: DNA Links Freehold Man To 2013 Robbery

Second suspect still remains unidentified, police said.

DNA evidence on a shirt a man pulled off one of his attackers and a hat and sunglasses they let behind during a 2013 robbery has led to charges against a Freehold man in connection with that attack, police said Tuesday.

Luis Colon-Rosario, 36, of Freehold, has been charged with robbery with a handgun, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon, Freehold Borough Detective Sgt. Andrew A. DeMuth said.

Colon-Rosario already was being held in the Monmouth County Jail on unrelated charges.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The robbery occurred July 21, 2013 in the first block of Broadway near Fulton Street in the early morning hours of that July day. Freehold police, including Patrolman Eduardo Santana, responded shortly before 3 a.m. and the victim told him he was attacked and robbed at gunpoint by two Hispanic males. DeMuth said the victim told police one pointed a gun at him and demanded cash. When the victim refused, the two attackers grabbed him, hit him several times and forcefully removed his cell phone from his pocket before running away.

Patrol officers searched for the two attackers but were unable to find them, but found a shirt, hat and sunglasses left behind. The victim confirmed the items were left behind by the attackers and said that during the struggle, he was able to put one in a headlock. The shirt had been covering the man’s face, and the victim was able to rip it off him.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In the course of the ensuing investigation, Santana and Detective John Reiff determined that the stolen cell phone was sold to a store on West Main Street. After conducting interviews and pulling video, they were able to positively identify the person selling the stolen cell phone as Joshua M. Santiago of Freehold. Santiago was charged with receiving stolen property and in May 2014, he entered into a plea deal and pled guilty to a reduced charge, DeMuth said.

The second person from the initial robbery has not yet been identified, so the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information relating to the incident is asked to contact Reiff at (732) 462-1233, Ext. 107.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.