Crime & Safety
Suspect Surrenders After Freehold Standoff: Prosecutor
The standoff in Freehold followed an incident in Tinton Falls where shots were fired, according to a report.

FREEHOLD, NJ — A person surrendered to authorities Monday evening following a standoff in Freehold that led to the evacuation of neighboring residents, the Monmouth County prosecutor's office said Monday evening.
"Subject of #MOCERT response in Freehold Borough has surrendered without incident and is currently in custody with @FreeholdPD area is clear and residents are returning to their homes. More to follow later...," the prosecutor's office said in a tweet.
The standoff followed an incident where shots were fired in Tinton Falls, the Asbury Park Press reported.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The suspect in the shooting went to an apartment complex on Spring Street in Freehold. Witnesses who contacted Patch and Asbury Park Press videos showed authorities including police and the Monmouth County sheriff's office along with officers in tactical gear outside the apartment building shortly before 5 p.m. The suspect surrendered about an hour later, according to the report.
One video showed residents being evacuated from the building where the suspect initially was refusing to come out.
Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Residence being evacuated from area in Freehold. Courtesy video from Nancy Mexquititla pic.twitter.com/kqOxF9DzLn
— Joshua Chung (@joshchunggg) October 14, 2019
The Press report said the shooting happened in Tinton Falls earlier in the afternoon.
Have a news tip? Email karen.wall@patch.com Follow Freehold Patch on Facebook.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.