Crime & Safety

Update On Reported 'Person Of Interest' In Missing NJ Woman Case

New details have emerged involving a reported "person of interest" in the case of a missing woman from New Jersey.

Stephanie Parze
Stephanie Parze (Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office)

NEW JERSEY – Prosecutors released new details in the case of a missing woman from New Jersey on Monday, saying they searched the home of a man who is reportedly a "person of interest" in the probe and seized some items.

The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office confirmed that a search was conducted Friday at the Freehold Township home of Stephanie Parze's one-time boyfriend, John Ozbilgen, and that it was linked to her disappearance.

During the search, prosecutors had an arrest warrant and police conducted a "forensic review" of Ozbilgen's iPhone X, discovering an image of child pornography, according to the MCPO. The warrant also noted that police took possession of two electronic devices, such as cell phones, computers or "similar" items.

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Ozbilgen, 29, was arrested at his home Friday and charged with one count of third-degree endangering the welfare of a child - possession of child pornography, Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni announced.

Parze, 25, of Freehold Township, who has been missing since Oct. 30, entered into a relationship with Ozbilgen Aug. 19, according to a post on Parze's Facebook account. Ozbilgen identified himself as John Oz on Facebook, according to The Asbury Park Press. She most recently identified herself as "single."

Find out what's happening in Freeholdfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Despite the search, Charles Webster, a spokesman for the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office, told Patch that Ozbilgen's actual arrest on child porn charges was "completely unrelated" to Parze's disappearance.

NBC4 and ABC7 confirmed that Ozbilgen, nonetheless, is a "person of interest" in the Parze case.

If convicted of the third-degree child-porn charges, Ozbilgen faces a sentence of up to five years in a New Jersey state prison.

Ozbilgen was being detained in the Monmouth County Correctional Institution in Freehold Township pending a detention hearing to be scheduled this week in Superior Court.

Authorities have expanded their search to two states for Parze. Her mother also has made a plea for help as police have sought to reassure that the public is safe.

The search for Parze has extended to Staten Island, the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office said. Investigators were seen last week searching alongside the NYPD in a remote section of Staten Island, according to PIX11.

Police, meanwhile, said they wanted to assure people that they are doing everything possible to find Parze.

"We want to assure everyone we are doing everything possible to locate her at this time," the Freehold Township Police Department said in a statement. "We appreciate any and all tips that have been offered thus far in the investigation."

Parze disappeared after a night out with her family in New Brunswick, PIX11 said. "We had the best night. It was like the perfect night. Everybody had such a great time," Parze's mother told the station.

Her sisters and parents are worried and now fear the worst, according to PIX11. "She's my life. She's my baby and she's my oldest daughter. We're so close," her mother said

Investigators found the woman's car, cell phone and dog, Jazmine, at her home, and there was no sign of struggle, officials said.

The prosecutor's office is asking anyone who has information about Parze or her whereabouts to contact Detective Shawn Murphy of the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office at 732-431-7160, ext. 7032, or Detective Daniel Valentine of the Freehold Township Police at 732-462-7908.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.