Schools
Negotiations Continue After HTEA Votes Down Proposed Contract
Negotiations to resume after the holidays

Negotiations which have been called "cordial," and "professional," will continue between the Howell Township Education Association (HTEA) and the district administration following the union's recent vote to turn down a proposed contract.
It has been two years of negotiating so far starting with direct negotiations followed by a fact finder being brought in and now a superconciliator. At Tuesday's Board of Education meeting Matt Giacobbe, part of the negotiating team for the administration, said it has been a, "long arduous process," but added that he believed "at the end of the day I think it will yield a good result for everyone."
Board president Tim O'Brien said the board is, "committed to the superconciliation process and will continue to work to achieve a fair and equitable settlement for both parties working with the superconciliator."
Find out what's happening in Howellfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to the HTEA website the contract, which had been tentatively agreed upon by representatives for both sides, was voted down by the union membership by a 356-278 margin. Calls to HTEA President Bill O'Brien seeking more information were not returned.
Board President Tim O'Brien said he is hopeful there will be progress when negotiations resume after the holidays. "The most important priority is our students and providing a successful conclusion to this process."
Find out what's happening in Howellfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The next board meeting is scheduled for Jan. 3 when the new members will be sworn in at the annual reorganization.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.