Health & Fitness
NJ Coronavirus: Trenton Diocese Excuses Parishioners From Service
Diocese of Trenton parishes remain open, but parishioners are excused from services after Gov. Murphy suggested canceling large events.
LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ — Following Gov. Phil Murphy's recommendation that gatherings of more than 250 people should be canceled in New Jersey because of the coronavirus scare, the Diocese of Trenton is excusing parishioners from celebrating mass until further notice.
Churches in the diocese — which spans Mercer, Burlington Monmouth and Ocean counties — will remain open, Bishop David M O’Connell said in a message on the diocese’s website.
“All weekend Masses should be celebrated as regularly scheduled. The Sacrament of Penance should also remain available,” O’Connell said. “Previous instructions issued regarding liturgical practices at Mass remain in effect. Those who are feeling sick or are in high risk groups should not celebrate or attend Mass and should stay home.
Find out what's happening in Lawrencevillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“At the same time, I am granting a dispensation from the obligation to attend weekend/Sunday Mass to all the Catholic faithful until further notice. Mass will still be offered in parishes for those who choose or who are able to attend. Otherwise, I recommend that the faithful pray and take advantage of/participate in Holy Mass that is broadcast on television.”
New Jersey Coronavirus Updates: Don't miss local and statewide announcements about novel coronavirus precautions. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.
Find out what's happening in Lawrencevillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Out of an abundance of caution, he said pastors should consider canceling other large gatherings of the faithful in parish churches of venues. O’Connell also recommended families limit attendance at other sacramental celebrations, such as Baptisms and Confirmations, to immediate family only.
“In light of the endurance of the virus on frequently touched surfaces — doors, pews, holy water fonts, etc. — please consider frequent, proper cleaning of these surfaces in our churches,” O’Connell said. “I cannot anticipate every (“what if …”) question that might be asked. I simply instruct pastors and priests to use the very best judgment possible and to keep informed of any developments as they arise.”
O'Connell previously issued the following instructions on liturgical practices to be observed in all parishes institutions and organizations within the Diocese of Trenton, which remain in effect as of Friday morning:
- People who have flu-like symptoms or who are otherwise feeling sick should not go to Mass or other Church gatherings;
- Priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion should practice good hygiene, washing hands with soap and water or anti-bacterial hand sanitizer, before and after distributing Holy Communion;
- People are encouraged not to receive Holy Communion on the tongue; worthy, reverent reception by hand is preferred until otherwise notified;
- The practice of distributing the Precious Blood from the Chalice is suspended; and
- The practice of exchanging the sign of peace by any physical contact (handshake, embrace, kissing) is suspended.
The New Jersey Department of Health has partnered with the New Jersey Poison Information and Education System to open and operate a call center (1-800-222-1222) for public use regarding questions, concerns, and other information related to coronavirus spread in New Jersey. More information is also available on the state's coronavirus webpage.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.