Schools
Manchester Lauds Pate's 21 Years Of School Board Service
The long-serving member didn't rule out the possibility of running again.

MANCHESTER, NJ — Before the Manchester Township Board of Education reorganized earlier this month, the district bade farewell to longtime member James Kenneth Pate.
Pate served on the school board for 21 years before losing his seat to newcomer Patrick Barry in the November 2016 school board election. He had been vice president of the board since 2009.
"Mr. Pate has done a great job and accomplished a lot for our students," Superintendent of Schools David Trethaway said. He praised Pate for his commitment to board training and called him a core member of the board.
Find out what's happening in Manchesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"He is always here for the students. Thank you."
Board President Donald Webster Jr. also expressed appreciation, noting Pate joined the board in a time of turmoil and brought fresh ideas and a fresh vision and that helped the districk make quite a few strides over the years.
Find out what's happening in Manchesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Pate said he would truly miss being on the board and may even consider running again.
"It has been an honor this past 20 or so years. I have met wonderful people who have touched my life in so many ways," he said.
Barry, Jackie Bermudez and Dean Hetzel were sworn in at the Jan. 4 meeting. The board meets again tonight, Jan. 18, at the Ridgeway Elementary School media center.
James Kenneth Pate (left) and Board President Donald Webster Jr. Photo via Manchester Township School District
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.