Politics & Government

Top Sayreville Democrat Accused Of Bribery Steps Down From Govt. Posts

After he was charged with bribery, Thomas Pollando quit his New Jersey Turnpike Authority job and stepped down from all his govt. posts:

The case against Pollando is related to an ongoing investigation the Middlesex County Prosecutor is doing into Sayreville strip club Club XXXV/Club 35, according to the New Jersey Globe​.
The case against Pollando is related to an ongoing investigation the Middlesex County Prosecutor is doing into Sayreville strip club Club XXXV/Club 35, according to the New Jersey Globe​. (Google Earth)

SAYREVILLE, NJ — Less than 24 hours after he was accused of accepting bribes, Sayreville Democratic chairman Thomas Pollando has stepped down from his job with the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, and resigned from all his powerful posts within New Jersey government.

This is according to his lawyer, Robert Honecker, Jr., of well-known criminal defense law firm Ansell & Grimm. Pollando, 72, of Parlin, has not yet publicly commented on the charges filed against him.

On Thursday, Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone announced she charged Pollando with second-degree bribery in official matters and second-degree receipt of unlawful benefit by public servant for official behavior.

Find out what's happening in Matawan-Aberdeenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

By Friday, Pollando had:

  • Quit his job as an IT contract administrator for the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, where he was paid $85,608 a year. He resigned by email Friday morning, said a spokesman for the Turnpike Authority.
  • Resigned as commissioner for the Sayreville Economic Redevelopment Agency
  • Resigned from the Middlesex County Planning Board, where he was vice chair
  • Resigned from the Sayreville Athletic Association, where he had long been president
  • Resigned as chairman of the Sayreville Democratic Party

There had been growing calls for Pollando to resign, many coming from within his own Democratic Party:

Find out what's happening in Matawan-Aberdeenfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"We are deeply troubled by the allegations against Pollando. Actions like those alleged are fully unbecoming of anyone in public service," said Middlesex County Commissioner Ronald Rios on Friday, who said he was speaking on behalf of the entire county board. "We urge him to resign as soon as possible."

The case against Pollando is related to an ongoing investigation the Middlesex County Prosecutor is doing into Sayreville strip club Club XXXV/Club 35, according to the New Jersey Globe.

As Patch previously reported, the Acciardi family, who live in Freehold and Old Bridge and who own the strip club, were charged in June of this year with money laundering, plus promoting prostitution and street crime.

The county prosecutor said her detectives were conducting electronic surveillance of a business in Sayreville over a several-week period in July and August. While conducting the surveillance, detectives said they observed Pollando accept several thousands of dollars in cash, in return saying he would attempt to use his political clout to influence an ongoing criminal case.

New Jersey Globe reports that the business they were monitoring was Club 35. The Middlesex County Prosecutor has not confirmed if that is accurate and usually does not comment on active investigations. On this topic: Family That Owns Sayreville Strip Club Charged With Money Laundering (June 2022)

What the prosecutor did say was that Pollando was arrested immediately after leaving the business and was found in possession of the cash. Pollando was charged on a summons to appear in court and released the day of the arrest.

Two of the boards Pollando sat on, the Middlesex County Planning Board and the Sayreville Economic & Redevelopment Authority, have tremendous power, as they decide which Middlesex County properties can be developed. He also used to be president of the Sayreville town council.

Anyone with information about Pollando or this case is asked to call Detective Zaiton of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 745-4263.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.