Community Corner
Coronavirus Concerns Cancel Morris Co. St. Patrick's Day Parade
The announcement comes amid heightened concern of community spread due to the coronavirus, COVID-19.

MORRISTOWN, NJ - The Morris County Parade Committee, in a joint statement with the Town of Morristown Council and Mayor Timothy Dougherty, has announced the cancellation of the Morris County St Patrick's Day Parade, scheduled for Saturday.
The announcement comes amid heightened concern of community spread due to the coronavirus, COVID-19.
"We are disappointed by the decision, but it was entirely necessary," said the Committee in a joint statement. "We've been cautiously optimistic that the parade could still go forward, but as other towns and cities across the country take the difficult but necessary step to cancel their events. we must as well in Morris County."
Find out what's happening in Morristownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Indeed, earlier this they sent a message affirming the parade would go on as scheduled.
“We want everyone to be on the same page,” said Dougherty at the time. “Don’t kiss anyone you don’t know. Carry sanitizer if you have it. Wash your hands throughout the day. Take the same precautions you would if you had the flu. And be sure to follow the guidance of local health officials and the CDC.”
Find out what's happening in Morristownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
New Jersey Coronavirus Updates: Don't miss local and statewide announcements about novel coronavirus precautions. Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters.
The decision was made in a joint effort with the Morris County Parade Committee, Mayor and Administration Office, Town Council, and County Health Department.
Officials noted, however, that a separate parade is in the works for late summer.
The September event will be the halfway point to the 2021 parade festivities. More details on the event will come soon.
"We also remind all residents and visitors in Morristown that even young people can be exposed to the virus and carry it home," said Dougherty. "We join Parade Committee and the Town Council in asking people to lake precautions and heed the advice of the CDC as they celebrate this weekend."
The public should be particularly mindful of the CDC's recent guidance for older adults and other high risk individuals to avoid large crowds or gatherings.
"I am obviously upset by the decision to cancel the parade" said Dougherty. "But the most important thing we have to consider is safety. Above anything else, we must take the necessary steps to keep our residents and visitors safe. There will always be more parades."
Thanks for reading! Learn more about posting announcements or events to your local Patch site. Have a news tip you'd like to share? Or maybe you have a press release you would like to submit or a correction you'd like to request? Send an email to russ.crespolini@patch.com
Subscribe to your local Patch newsletter. You can also have them delivered to your phone screen by downloading, or by visiting the Google Play store.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.