Crime & Safety
Man Fled US After Slaying In Newark; Now He Faces 30 Years: ECPO
A man who fled the United States after a "horrific" slaying outside a lounge in Newark has been convicted of manslaughter, prosecutors said.
NEWARK, NJ — A man who fled the United States after a “horrific” slaying in Newark in 2009 has been convicted of manslaughter and other offenses – more than 15 years after the killing took place, prosecutors announced last week.
An Essex County jury convicted Cesar Campos, 49, previously of Newark, of the following charges on June 12: first-degree conspiracy to commit murder, first-degree aggravated manslaughter, fourth-degree unlawful possession of a weapon, and third-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose.
According to a statement from the prosecutor’s office:
Find out what's happening in Newarkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“On May 24, 2009, the defendant and his conspirators killed Ricky Lauracuent utilizing a knife outside of the Pink Cat Lounge located at 386 Park Avenue in Newark, New Jersey. The mother of his children witnessed the horrific incident. Shortly afterwards, Mr. Campos fled to the Dominican Republic to evade law enforcement. Through the efforts of the Newark Police Department, Essex County Prosecutor’s Office, United States Marshal’s Service and the Drug Enforcement Administration, Mr. Campos was located in the Dominican Republic in 2020 and taken into custody. He was extradited to the United States over 11 years after the murder took place.”
Campos is scheduled to be sentenced on Sept. 6. He faces up to 30 years in prison, prosecutors said.
Send local news tips and correction requests to eric.kiefer@patch.com. Find out how to post announcements or events to your local Patch site.
Find out what's happening in Newarkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.