Crime & Safety
Newark Man Murdered, Cops Arrest Alleged Killer: Police
The fatal shooting took place on Rose Terrace, Newark police say.

Newark, NJ – Authorities have arrested a Newark resident accused of murdering a 31-year-old local man earlier in February on Rose Terrace.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office, police arrested Fateem T. Moses, 35, of Newark, on Wednesday and charged him with the Feb. 14 murder of Omar Faines, 31, of Newark.
Authorities charged Moses with murder and weapons offenses.
Find out what's happening in Newarkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He was transported to the Essex County Correctional Facility in Newark and held on $750,000 bail.
An investigation is active and ongoing, prosecutors said.
Find out what's happening in Newarkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to the NJ Courts Public Access Database, a Newark resident born in 1984 named Omar Faines pleaded guilty to a robbery charge in 2003 for a 2002 incident, and was sentenced to 102 days in jail.
In 2013, Newark police arrested a 28-year-old named Omar Faines for aggravated assault, conspiracy and possession of a weapon.
The victim in that incident reported that while visiting the suspects at their residence, she was allegedly physically assaulted and threatened with a gun when she refused their sexual advances.
- See related article: NPD Fugitive Unit Arrests Two on Assault, Other Charges
Patch contacted the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office to confirm if the victim in the Feb. 14 murder was the same man who was arrested in 2002 and 2013, but was told that under the rules governing prosecutors in New Jersey, the agency cannot discuss a person’s prior criminal record.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.