
MOORESTOWN, NJ — Trash pickup has been cancelled on Thursday due to the storm that blasted the region early Thursday morning, officials said. Anyone who has questions about trash pickup can contact the Department of Public Works at 856-235-3520.
On Thursday afternoon, Gov. Chris Christie extended an already existing State of Emergency to include Burlington County. The State of Emergency now covers Atlantic, Burlington, Cape May, Monmouth, and Ocean counties. A State of Emergency authorizes the State Director of Emergency Management to activate and coordinate response and recovery efforts for the storm with county and municipal emergency operations and governmental agencies.
Despite this State of Emergency, some people are still braving the road across the state. In Bordentown, a ShopRite truck became stuck off the road, according to New Jersey State Police.
Find out what's happening in Ocean Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Somebody's not getting their copious amounts of milk, bread and eggs on this snowy day," police said in a Facebook post. "Best way to avoid situations like this is to stay home if you can!"
Find out what's happening in Ocean Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
See related: 'Bomb Cyclone' Arrives In New Jersey: Latest Updates, Snow Totals
Few power outages had been reported early Thursday morning, but are always a possibility. Customers should report downed wires or power outages by calling PSE&G's customer service line at 1-800-436-PSEG. Also, customers can report outages at www.pseg.com or by texting "OUT" to 4PSEG (47734), and can check the PSE&G "Outage Map" here.
PSE&G urges its customers to be cautious during and after the storm, and offered the following advice:
- Downed wires should always be considered "live." Do not approach or drive over a downed line and do not touch anything that it might be in contact with.
- To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, do not run any gasoline powered engine, including generators and snowblowers, in a garage or any other enclosed space.
"Although we prepare our system for bad weather year-round, we take every storm with the potential for outages seriously," said John Latka, senior vice president of electric and gas operations for PSE&G. "We have additional personnel scheduled and on standby, with auxiliary equipment at the ready for this first storm of 2018."
The attached image was posted on the New Jersey State Police official Facebook page.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.