Crime & Safety
Double Stabbing In South Brunswick Lead To Attempted Murder Charges
Two people were stabbed over the weekend in the Home Depot area in South Brunswick. Police have charged two teens.
SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ — Two teens from the township were charged with attempted murder and other offenses after two people were stabbed over the weekend in South Brunswick.
James Romer, 18, and a 17-year-old male from South Brunswick were charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, and weapons offenses.
On Oct. 8, around 7:50 p.m., police received a call from a man seeking medical assistance at the Home Depot, located at 4095 Route 1. On arrival, Patrol Officer Tyler Harpster found a 19-year-old man with multiple stab wounds, police said.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The man, a South Brunswick resident, told police he had been stabbed in the parking lot following an altercation and made his way inside the store seeking help, authorities said.
While officers were looking for a suspect, they found a second victim, a 20-year-old South Brunswick man, with knife wounds, not far from Home Depot.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Both men were taken to the hospital for treatment of their wounds.
Det. Rick DeLucia continued investigating during the weekend and Romer and the juvenile were identified as suspects, police said.
Romer was lodged in the Middlesex County Adult Corrections Center, and the 17-year-old was lodged in the Juvenile Detention Center.
Chief Raymond J. Hayducka praised the efforts of officers on the scene and detectives who followed up on the case. “Their diligent work led to the arrest of two individuals and put the case to rest,” Hayducka said.
Anyone with information on the case can contact Det. Rick DeLucia at (732)329-4646.
Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.