Crime & Safety

North Brunswick Man Among 2 Charged In Non-Fatal Shooting Of Teen

Corey Fuqua, 19, was charged in connection with the non-fatal shooting of a teenager in New Brunswick, authorities said.

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ — Two men, including a North Brunswick resident, have been charged in connection with the non-fatal shooting of a teenager in New Brunswick, Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone and Director Anthony A. Caputo of the New Brunswick Police Department said.

Corey Fuqua, 19, of North Brunswick and Gede Maccelus, 20, of Princeton, were each charged with one count of first-degree attempted murder and second-degree unlawful possession of a handgun.

On Thursday, Jan. 20, at approximately 7:09 p.m., authorities responded to the area of Throop Avenue and Redmond Street following the report of a shooting. On arrival, officers found a juvenile male who had been shot. The victim was taken to a nearby hospital where he was treated for his injuries, Ciccone said.

Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Following an investigation, authorities determined Fuqua and Maccelus participated in the shooting, Ciccone said.

On Jan. 25, Fuqua and Maccelus were charged, and are presently in custody pending a pre-trial detention hearing in Superior Court.

Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Anyone with information or surveillance footage of the area is asked to call Detective Keith Walcott of the New Brunswick Police Department at (732)745-5200 or Detective Paul Kelley of the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at (732)745-3330.

Thank you for reading. Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com

Get breaking news alerts on your phone with our app. Download here. Sign up to get Patch emails so you don't miss out on local and statewide news

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.