Crime & Safety
NJ Man Fatally Shot By Police, Tased Moments Before: Videos
The shooting of Atiba Lewis on Feb. 16 remains under investigation by the Attorney General's Office of Public Integrity and Accountability.
SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ — Four officers using tasers were unable to disarm the knife-wielding man who was fatally shot in Plainsboro last month, according to the video footage released by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office.
The shooting of Atiba Lewis, 45, on Feb. 16 remains under investigation by the Attorney General’s Office of Public Integrity and Accountability. The officer who fired at Lewis has been identified as Officer Phillip Nguyen of the Middlesex County Sheriff’s Office.
According to the preliminary investigation, the shooting occurred shortly after 11:30 a.m. Officers from the Middlesex County Sheriff’s Office and other law enforcement agencies went to serve a civil order for possession (eviction/ejection) to remove Lewis from an apartment on Ravens Crest Drive in Plainsboro, the AG’s office said.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“Later that same morning, law enforcement officers sought and executed a search warrant for an unlawful firearm at Mr. Lewis’ residence,” according to a statement from the AG’s office.
After Lewis had arrived back at the apartment complex, law enforcement officers attempted to arrest him for unlawful possession of the firearm. When the officers approached Lewis, he pulled out a knife and ran away from them, The AG’s office said.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Lewis continued to threaten the officers with the knife. “Four officers deployed Tasers in an attempt to disarm Mr. Lewis, but the Tasers were ineffective. Mr. Lewis was agitated and lunged at officers several times. At approximately 11:35 a.m., with a knife in his hand, Mr. Lewis advanced directly toward Officer Nguyen, who then fired his weapon, fatally wounding Mr. Lewis,” the AG's office said.
Officers and emergency medical personnel rendered first aid to Lewis, who was taken to Princeton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 12:10 p.m.
Investigators met with Lewis’ family on Friday to review the recordings.
The investigation is ongoing and no further information was released.
Thank you for reading. Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com
Get breaking news alerts on your phone with our app. Download here. Sign up to get Patch emails so you don't miss out on local and statewide news.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.