Crime & Safety
Timeout For Safety: Police, South Brunswick Schools Host Safe Driving Presentation
Around 2,793 students attended a presentation on the dangers of distracted driving.

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ — On July 17, 2009, 21-year-old Casey Feldman was on her way to a summer job in Ocean City when she was struck by a van in a crossway. She worked as a waitress and was ready to enter her senior year at Fordham University, NYC.
The intersection was governed by four-way stop signs, where the speed limit was just 25 mph. Casey was 3/4 of the way across the intersection when she was struck.
The 58-year-old driver claimed he did not see her. Police said he was distracted by reaching for his GPS while holding an iced tea.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Following Casey’s death, her father Joel Feldman started EndDD.org. Through the organization, Feldman gives presentations across the U.S. and Canada about the dangers of distracted driving. So far, he has given over 900 presentations.
And on Tuesday, he was in South Brunswick to talk to high school students.
Find out what's happening in South Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
To educate young people on the dangers of distracted driving, the South Brunswick Police Department and school district teamed up to host the special presentation.
Feldman spoke to 2,793 students about Casey and provided insights into how to gave difficult conversations with family and friends about distracted driving. It showed how everyone can make a difference by speaking up
The presentation was part of Chief Raymond Hayducka’s traffic safety initiative.
This year alone, South Brunswick has seen seven fatal crashes, all caused by distracted driving, according to police.
“We have seen more serious and fatal crashes over the past two years, and distracted driving has been a major factor. It will take a comprehensive approach involving education, enforcement, and culture change to impact driving habits”, Hayducka said.
High School Principal Peter Varela and School Resource Officer Det. Scott Bucca thought the presentation was needed to highlight the dangers of distracted driving.
“Nationwide car crashes are the leading cause of preventable accidental deaths for young people,” Bucca said.
Varela said the presentation was "powerful and left an impact on everyone.”
South Brunswick Police will host another presentation by Feldman Dec. 19, 7 pm at South Brunswick High School. This presentation is open to all members of the community.
Registration is not required. Those interested in attending can email aredfield@sbpdnj.net or call (732) 329-4000 ext 7469.
Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.