Politics & Government

Westfield, PSE&G To Share 'Alternate Route' Plan For Upgrade

Officials will be sharing new proposed route on April 10 at the Westfield Library.

WESTFIELD, NJ - A compromise may be at hand for the hotly contested PSE&G 69Kv project, according to Mayor Shelley Brindle.

"Town Administrator Jim Gildea and I have been conducting ongoing conversations with PSE&G regarding their 69Kv project, including a meeting last week where we drove the original proposed route with them to point out the specific neighborhood impact and why it is unacceptable," Brindle said in a statement. "We then reviewed a PSE&G recommended potential alternate route with less residential and tree impact, and gave them additional feedback to further address these issues which they are working on."

According to PSE&G, the proposed electric reliability project in Westfield is part of a statewide plan to upgrade its infrastructure to ensure that the utility can meet the needs of customers today and well into the future. By installing stronger poles and state-of-the-art wires and other equipment, PSE&G has been upgrading its electric system throughout the state to withstand increasingly damaging storms due to climate change and to meet the demand for electricity.

Find out what's happening in Westfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On March 6 PSE&G sent letters to customers along the route notifying them about the necessary tree work as well as the pole replacements which sparked a backlash from residents. The backlash prompted town officials and utility company to reopen talks. According to Brindle, those talks proved fruitful.

"PSE&G has since shared that they feel confident enough in being able to support this alternate route to move forward in scheduling a public workshop on April 10 at 7 p.m. at the Westfield Library," Brindle said.

Find out what's happening in Westfieldfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Brindle said they plan on releasing the full version of the alternate plan Friday so residents can get a look at it before the scheduled meeting in April.

"No work on the 69Kv project will commence prior to the public meeting, and we have also asked PSE&G to stop work on all of their projects in town so there is no misperception by the public that this particular project has begun," Brindle said. "They are currently winding down projects that are in process."

Thanks for reading! Learn more about posting announcements or events to your local Patch site here. Have a news tip you'd like to share? Or maybe you have a press release you would like to submit or a correction you'd like to request? Send an email to russ.crespolini@patch.com

Subscribe to your local Patch newsletter by clicking here. You can also have them delivered to your phone screen by downloading our Apple iOS app here, or by visiting the Google Play store for the Android app here.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.