Crime & Safety

Bergen County Courthouse Bomb Threat Prompts Evacuations

A bomb threat occurred in New Jersey, prompting evacuations. It was the fourth bomb threat at the same location in a week.

A bomb threat occurred at a New Jersey courthouse Thursday, prompting evacuations. It was the fourth bomb threat at the same location in a week.

It appeared that officials gave the "all clear" around 11:20 a.m and people were returning to the courthouse shortly thereafter.

The Bergen County Courthouse and One Bergen County Plaza in Hackensack were evacuated, and buildings are being searched by bomb squads and K-9 units to make sure there is no threat, William Schievella, the director of communications for the Bergen County Sheriff’s Office, told The Record.

Find out what's happening in Wyckofffor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Record said people inside the courthouse were asked to move across the street from the two buildings just after the threat came in just before 10 a.m.

The courthouse was evacuated last week after several bomb threats were made, authorities told The Record. A total of three threats were received on April 28.

Find out what's happening in Wyckofffor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Sirens could be heard in the area around 10:45 a.m.

We'll have more information as it's coming in.

A witness caught the events on Twitter:

Ron Coleman (@RonColeman) photo

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.