Politics & Government
Garrett Agrees To Attend 2 Candidates Forums
It is still unknown if the seven-term republican will debate his challenger, Josh Gottheimer.
Rep. Scott Garrett accepted invitations to attend two candidates debates — a challenge put forth earlier this election season by his challenger, democrat Josh Gottheimer. But, it is unclear if the two will actually get together to discuss the issues concerning New Jersey's 5th Congressional District.
Garrett, a seven-term congressman, accepted invitations from WRNJ-AM Radio and Rabbi Steven Pruzansky to debate Gottheimer, a former speechwriter for President Bill Clinton from Wyckoff. Pruzansky invited Garrett and Gottheimer to debate at Congregation Bnai Yeshurun in Teaneck Oct. 27.
"This will be a great opportunity for voters in the 5th District to hear directly from the candidates about each of their ideas, that is if Josh Gottheimer has any ideas of his own," Garrett's campaign said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. "So far, Josh Gottheimer has only demonstrated his abilities as a liar about Scott Garrett and an apologist for Hillary Clinton.” No further comment was issued.
Find out what's happening in Wyckofffor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gottheimer accepted an invitation from the League of Women Voters to attend their candidate debate Oct. 27. He also accepted an invitation to attend a forum at the Fair Lawn Jewish Center Sept. 19 and from Fairleigh Dickinson University for a date that has not yet been determined.
It is not known if Garrett will attend any of those events. The congressman has been attacked by conservatives and liberals since last year after Politico reported that he had refused to pay his Republican Party dues because the party had backed gay candidates for Congress.
Find out what's happening in Wyckofffor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Gottheimer's campaign also received an invitation from Pruzansky to attend that debate, but, officials said, "it falls on the same night as the League of Women Voters debate."
In a letter to Garrett in June, Gottheimer challenged Garrett to a series of five debates to discuss the issues facing the district and the nation.
“I believe, as I hope you do, that democracy is best served when voters have an opportunity to hear directly from their candidates,” Gottheimer wrote.
Garrett replied, saying that he looks, "forward to a campaign season filled with great debate about the best solutions for the future of our district and our country.”
Garrett has a history of not attending debates in Bergen County, where most of his constituency is located.
Garrett debated Democratic opponent Roy Cho on WRNJ-AM in 2014, NorthJersey.com reported. WRNJ is based in Hackettstown in Warren County. The congressman declined to participate in an event that year organized by Bergen Grassroots, a non-partisan organization that advocates for transparency in government, and the Bergen County chapter of the NAACP.
"During his previous congressional campaigns, Congressman Garrett has developed a pattern of only debating in forums that are organized and driven by his own supporters and those who share his views," Gottheimer's campaign said. "We hope that this year the congressman will agree to debate."
Email: daniel.hubbard@patch.com
Photo: Congressman Scott Garrett — By Gage Skidmore, used with permission under Flickr's Creative Commons license
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.