Politics & Government

Latimer, Buchwald to Hold Forum on State Budget in Bedford

The public is invited to speak on a first-come basis.

BEDFORD, NY — Two state lawmakers will hold a joint forum on the proposed 2017-18 state budget.

New York State Senator George Latimer, D-Rye, and Assemblyman David Buchwald, D-Mount Kisco, announced the event Tuesday, which is an opportunity for any person or organization that wishes to attend and share their thoughts on the proposed budget and New York’s funding priorities.

The Bedford forum will be held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017, at the Bedford Town Hall, Courtroom 321, Bedford Road, Bedford Hills.

Find out what's happening in Bedford-Katonahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

No reservations are necessary, and the public is invited to speak on a first-come basis. Remarks are limited to four minutes per person.

Written testimony can be provided at the hearing, or in advance to Senator Latimer or Assemblyman Otis by e-mail to latimer@nysenate.gov or BuchwaldD@NYAssembly.gov.

Find out what's happening in Bedford-Katonahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“The state budget affects every member of our community, and every member of the community should be heard as we deliberate and debate its enactment,” Latimer said.

Buchwald said, "This is a great opportunity for the public to voice their thoughts and ideas about our state budget, which impacts crucial areas like education and tax policy."

Proposed last month by the Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the "Executive Budget” is the first step in adopting a spending plan for New York’s next fiscal year, which runs from April 1, 2017, to March 31, 2018.

The governor’s proposal would provide $152 billion in funds to fund state programs and services. The largest areas included in the spending plan are education, public protection, and health care, including Medicaid.

Image via Shutterstock.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.