Crime & Safety
Newburgh Man Charged In Fatal Shooting: DA
Prosecutors said the man created a "grave risk of death" to others at the scene.
NEWBURGH, NY — A Newburgh man was accused of fatally shooting someone in the city of Newburgh last year.
Orange County District Attorney David M. Hoovler said Wednesday Joshua Williams, 31, of Newburgh, was charged with second-degree murder, two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon and first-degree reckless endangerment, all felonies.
Prosecutors said Williams fatally shot Jaime Fincher and "recklessly engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death to others at the scene."
Find out what's happening in Mid Hudson Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Bail was set in the amount of $750,000 cash, $2 million insurance company bond or $3 million partially secured bond.
Williams is next scheduled to appear in court via video Aug. 4.
Find out what's happening in Mid Hudson Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
He had been wanted on an arrest warrant since June 20. He was arrested by the City of Newburgh Police Department July 20.
Hoovler said his office will hold people who demonstrate a blatant disregard for human life and the safety of our community.
"Brazen gunplay in the streets of Orange County is intolerable and the tragic consequences of such conduct are laid bare in this case," he said.
Hoovler thanked the City of Newburgh Police Department, New York State Police, Troop F Major Crimes Unit, the Town of Newburgh Police Department, the Town of New Windsor Police Department and the Village of Walden Police Department for their investigation of the case.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.