Health & Fitness

Measles Outbreak: Rockland Cases Hit 200

Health officials say the first step in stopping the outbreak is getting as many people as possible vaccinated.

NEW CITY, NY — There are now 200 confirmed reported cases of measles in Rockland County. Health officials updated the number Wednesday on the county's website.

Vaccination rates for confirmed cases as of April 24 are:

  • 80.5 percent have had 0 MMRs (measles, mumps and rubella vaccine)
  • 5 percent have had 1 MMR
  • 3 percent have had 2 MMRs
  • 11.5 percent unknown status

Those rates are down across the board from April 18 except for "unknown status," which previously was 10.9 percent.

Find out what's happening in New Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Age groups for the confirmed cases as of April 24 are:

  • Less than 1 year old: 13.5 percent
  • 1-3 years: 28.5 percent
  • 4-6 years: 15 percent
  • 7-18 years: 26 percent
  • 19+ years: 17 percent

Officials have said they are worried that the outbreak will spread even further during Passover. The outbreak in Rockland, as in Brooklyn and Queens, is centered in Ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities.

Find out what's happening in New Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Unvaccinated children continue to be the most vulnerable population — four out of five people who have been infected with the virus since the outbreak started in October, health officials said.

SEE ALSO:

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.