Community Corner

Coronavirus: 50% Of Suffolk Cases Are People In 40s, 50s: Dr.

3 deaths reported at Suffolk retirement home as Gov. Cuomo orders all non-essential businesses closed and said need for ventilators is dire.

SUFFOLK COUNTY, NY — The number of confirmed cases of the new coronavirus continued to spike across Suffolk County Friday, with the total at 459, a "big jump" from 303 on Thursday, according to Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone.

In addition, in the last 24 hours, there have been 4 additional deaths reported, bringing the number countywide to 7. Of those new deaths, three were people in their 90s living at the Peconic Landing retirement home in Greenport, Bellone said.

Bellone gave a breakdown of the cases by town:

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

- Babylon, 68

- Brookhaven, 54

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

- East Hampton, 4

- Huntington, 97

- Islip, 85

- Riverhead, 9

- Shelter Island, 1

- Smithtown, 29

- Southampton, 11

- Southold, 64

- Location currently unavailable, 37

Coronavirus does not only impact the elderly or those with compromised immune systems, Bellone said: Of the total cases in Suffolk County, Dr. Gregson Pigott, Commissioner, Suffolk County Department of Health Services, there are 50 cases among people in their 20s, 50 cases of those in their 30s, with 50% of all cases reported among those in their 40s and 50s. There are slightly more males who have confirmed positive, Pigott said.

Also on Friday, Bellone announced that he, along with others, was home on mandatory quarantin, along with other members of his senior leadership team, after another close colleague, Chief Deputy County Executive Dennis Cohen, tested positive for coronavirus. The first Suffolk County Police officer, a man in his 50s also tested positive and remains home in isolation, he said.

Bellone said social distancing needed to be enforced; parents need to ensure that their kids adhered to the rules, he said. All playgrounds in Suffolk County were closed Thursday.

To keep up to date with coronavirus developments in New York, sign up for Patch news alerts and newsletters.

The need for supplies and personal protective equipment continued to rise, he said; there is also a focus on protecting police, firefighters and medical professionals with the PPE.

Efforts continued to locate sites for hospital expansion, he said.

Bellone again outlined the efforts of a new countywide business recovery unit and said small business owners struggling can call 311.

Information gleaned from the 396 who took a survey for business owners since Thursday indicated that 1,439 individuals had been laid off, 958 furloughed, and 2,388 jobs had been impacted.

In addition, Bellone outlined the feverish rush to buy groceries by some who fear a supply chain shortage, something residents do not need to fear, he said. "There is no need to panic," he said.

He then discussed retailers and grocery chains offering senior hours and the issues involved.

First responders and health workers in need of childcare assistance should call 646-926-3784, Bellone said.

Non-essential businesses close Sunday

Also on Friday, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that all non-essential businesses must close statewide by Sunday at 8 p.m., with 100% of workers ordered to stay home.

To find out what will remain open, click here.

The sweeping measure is an attempt to contain the virus as the desperate need for ventilators and hospital beds intensifies, Cuomo said. The number of confirmed cases was 7,102 statewide Friday with 2,900 new, 35 deaths reported, and a rate of hospitalization of 18%, he said.

He said he would put out an executive order Friday to "put New York on PAUSE," an acronym for policies, assure, uniform, safety and everyone.

"We need everyone to be safe, or else no one will be safe," he said.

Only essential businesses will be functioning, though employees can to work from home. He also said New Yorkers must remain indoors. Non-essential gatherings — of any size and for any reason — must be canceled or postponed, Cuomo said. Moreover, any concentration of people outside their home must be limited to workers providing essential services and social distancing should be practiced.

Ventilators desperately needed

Cuomo began the updated by saying that the focal remains on ventilators; the state's 50,000 hospital bed capacity must be increased. To that end, all non-critical elective surgeries will be canceled, freeing up 25% to 35% of all existing hospital beds. Hospitals are being asked to expand to their maximum capacity with additional sites for hospital facilities being scouted statewide, he said.

Additional medical staff is needed; the state is calling on retired doctors and nurses as well as medical students to help, Cuomo said.

"Supplies are major issue," the governor said, adding that New York State "will pay a premium" for these products. Personal protective equipment such as masks and gloves are desperately needed; businesses that do not manufacture those items now but could, will be paid, he said, and should contact his office or the Empire State Development Corporation.

"The ventilators are to this war what missiles were to WWII"

Any company or office that has masks or gloves that can donate them should, he said.

But, Cuomo emphasized, "It's ventilators, ventilators, ventilators. That is the greatest need."

Anyone that has a ventilator that is in a non-essential business, Cuomo said: "We want it. If you are a regulated health facility we are telling you by order of the Department of Health to make it available. We will purchase it or you can lend it but we need ventilators. The ventilators are to this war what missiles were to WWII."

Widespread closures

Speaking of the widespread closures, Cuomo said he was taking the "ultimate step to close the density control valve." The move to close all non-essential businesses by Sunday, he said, would flatten the curve and stem the flow of cases to hospital systems.

One hundred percent of the workforce must stay at home and only essential businesses, including pharmacies, supermarkets, restaurants and banks will remain open, he said. "This is the most drastic action we can take," he said. Public transportation will continue running, he said.

People are told to practice social distancing of 6 feet; no group gatherings are allowed. Young people, Cuomo said, need to adhere.

"These provisions will be enforced," he said. "These are not helpful hints," and those not in compliance will face civil fines.

Testing ramps up

New York, Cuomo said, is testing more per capita than China or South Korea, with 32,000 tested so far, and 10,000 last night.

Cuomo also spoke about the sense of isolation and mental health consequences of having people at home for so long.

"Be mindful of that. Those three word sentences can make all the difference: 'I miss you.' 'I love you.'"

Also, Cuomo announced a move to stop any evictions of residential or commercial tenants for 90 days.

A staffer at Cuomo's press office showed symptoms so that office has been quarantined, he said.

Also in recent days, gun sales have soared nationally.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.