Community Corner

‘Several’ New Coronavirus Cases Reported At LI Retirement Home

"We feel unsettled." Family speaks after reports that some Peconic Landing members, confirmed with coronavirus, are "quarantined in place."

(Photo courtesy Peconic Landing.)

GREENPORT, NY — "Several" members of the Peconic Landing retirement community have now tested positive for coronavirus — and the news has some with loved ones living at the facility feeling "unsettled" and concerned.

An update to Peconic Landing's website said that as of Tuesday, March 17, "Peconic Landing has been notified by the New York State Health Department that members of our community have tested positive for COVID-19. Affected members are in stable condition at this time."

The New York State Health Department is providing testing for members believed to be in close contact with the confirmed members and precautionary quarantines are being instituted to assist with the containment of the illness on the campus, the update read.

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Visitation to the campus remains suspended until further notice, the update added. "We will continue to provide general community updates and assist our members with family connections through Skype calls," Peconic Landing said.

To get more information or to schedule a Skype call with a family member, call the numbers below:

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Health Center Members: 631-593-8288
Independent Living Members: 631-593-8210

Peconic Landing officials did not immediately respond to questions about whether seniors had been affected, which areas of the facility they live in, and whether they were quarantined or hospitalized.

An update from Peconic Landing emailed to members and sent to Patch by a concerned family member whose parents live at the facility said: "Several more members have tested positive for the coronavirus. We are quarantining those members in place."

Family members have been notified, the update read. "We are not aware of any confirmed cases among our independent living members," the update read.

Also, the update, mailed to those living at Peconic Landing Tuesday read, "According to the experts there will be more cases. Because of these confirmed member cases the NYS Dept. of Health will be testing members in the nursing home today. We are asking all members to please stay inside and self isolate."

According to the concerned resident, who asked not to be identified to protect the privacy of his parents, no information had been released to family members about what floor the new cases had been identified on.

His parents, he said, were not among the confirmed cases and had not been tested for coronavirus.

But, while he said that he has always been very pleased with Peconic Landing's "great" transparency and is happy by new initiatives, such as seniors being able to communicate with their loved ones by Skype, he would like information about where — what floor or section of Peconic Landing — the new cases had been confirmed.

"It's unsettling because the only information we are getting is through their email or press releases," he said. "It's a lack of control that we have. We can't be there, so it's difficult. Not knowing what is happening makes us very nervous and uncomfortable. I wish they would be more vocal and transparent about what's happening."

He is also concerned for many married couples who may be living separately in different areas of Peconic Landing who, because of isolation and quarantine, cannot see each other due to necessary safety measures.

Already not able to see their children, they are unable to see their spouses, difficult for the seniors who might be lonely or confused, he said.

Suffolk County Legislator Bridget Fleming said Wednesday she could not answer specific questions on new cases based on HIPAA privacy laws

As of March 12, two additional employees of Peconic Landing, tested positive for coronavirus — and Southold Town, bringing the previously reported total to 3, before the most recent March 17 update.

A per diem employee at Peconic Landing was the first confirmed to have coronavirus. Peconic Landing officials said the employee worked in a "relatively isolated area, with minimal contact to our population." Efforts have been underway to continue sanitizing the facility,Peconic Landing CEO and President Bob Syron told Patch last week. All residents, he added, were being monitored closely.

Next, Peconic Landing was notified y the Suffolk County Department of Health that a second and third employee tested positive for COVID-19.

"We are in constant contact with the Suffolk County Department of Health and following their direction," Peconic Landing said in a statement. "The Suffolk County Department of Health is currently undergoing an investigation to identify individuals who may have had direct contact with these employees."

The Suffolk County Department of Health contacted those individuals directly.

"Due to HIPAA regulations we are unable to provide specific information about the employees," Peconic Landing said.

The retirement community suspended outside visitation until further notice.

"We are not under quarantine," the statement continued. "We are, however, identifying additional opportunities to protect our members' and employees' safety and well-being. Recommendations from the Governor's Office, the Suffolk County Health Commissioner, the NY State Department of Health and the CDC support this approach."

The focus is on ensuring the safety and well-being of members and employees, the statement said.

Peconic Landing is communicating all updates to members and employees via internal communication channels and will be providing ongoing updates through its website and social media channels.

As of Wednesday, Southold Town had 33 confirmed cases of coronavirus out of a Suffolk County total of 152.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.