Community Corner

Suffolk County Police Respond To Thousand Oaks Shooting Tragedy

"There is currently no credible increased threat to Suffolk County," officials say, adding that they remain vigilant.

SUFFOLK COUNTY, NY — After another mass shooting shocked the world Wednesday, Suffolk County Police spoke out.

The Suffolk County Police Department said it is monitoring intelligence reports from the horrific mass shooting incident that occurred at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, CA overnight.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this horrific attack. We commend the rapid response from area law enforcement to this event and we mourn the loss of the heroic member of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office who lost his life to save others. Our thoughts are with area first responders as they deal with the aftermath of this heinous attack — as so many other communities in our country have had to do recently," police said.

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

There is currently no credible increased threat to Suffolk County as a result of the incident, police said.

"However, we will continue to monitor information as this event unfolds. We will take any necessary precautions to preserve public safety and protect the residents of Suffolk County. Our department continues to aggressively prepare through continuous training, exercises and drills with other responders to increase our preparedness to respond to an event of this nature, as we did this past weekend."

Find out what's happening in North Forkfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Late Wednesday evening, a gunman opened fire at the bar in Southern California reportedly killing multiple people. Dressed in all black and hooded, the gunman fired shots at students during a weekly "college night" at the Borderline Bar & Grill. As shots went off, hundreds were seen fleeing, including some who "used barstools to break windows and escape," authorities told the Associated Press. The gunman, who was later found dead at the scene.

So far the death toll for the Thousand Oaks shooting is reportedly up to 13, including a deputy who rushed to the scene as well as the gunman, who police have already identified.

Kendall Paul, who lives in Los Angeles but videos wedding frequently in Thousand Oaks, was devastated to hear the news: "It's so sickening and my heart goes out to everyone effected by this tragedy. Today has been a painful day, thinking about all those lives lost. I feel heartsick for the parents, too. It's heartbreaking."

Patch file photo.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.