Community Corner
New York Times Editor Recounts Racist Encounter on Upper East Side in Front-Page Open Letter
The letter titled "An Open Letter to the Woman Who Told My Family to Go Back to China" was featured on the Times' front page Tuesday.

UPPER EAST SIDE, NY — An open letter recounting a racist encounter that occurred this weekend on the Upper East side appeared on the front page of Tuesday's edition of The New York Times.
The letter was written by Times editor Michael Luo, who was on the Upper East Side with family and friends when a random woman hurled racist epithets at them.
Luo first recounted the experience in a Tweet, which has over 2,000 retweets at the time of this writing:
Find out what's happening in Upper East Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Well dressed woman on Upper East Side, annoyed by our stroller, yells: "Go back to China...go back to your f---ing country." #thisis2016
— Michael Luo (@michaelluo) October 9, 2016
Now my 7 year old, distressed by what happened, keeps asking, "Why did she say, 'Go back to China?' We're not from China."
— Michael Luo (@michaelluo) October 9, 2016
Luo was born in the United States to two parents who fled China during the communist takeover, according to his letter. But even though he was born in this country and went to Harvard he wrote that he feels like an outsider in America.
"Maybe you don’t know this, but the insults you hurled at my family get to the heart of the Asian-American experience. It’s this persistent sense of otherness that a lot of us struggle with every day," Luo wrote in his letter.
Find out what's happening in Upper East Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
In the letter Luo said that the encounter wasn't his first time dealing with hate speech but the nasty nature of the 2016 presidential election, and a racist segment that aired recently on the "The O'Reilly Factor" amplified the effect of the attack.
Read the full open letter in the New York Times here.
After Luo tweeted about the hateful encounter people took to Twitter to offer their support and recounted similar incidents from their own lives by using #thisis2016.
Stuff like this has happened to me more in the last year than in the 5 years before that combined. Indeed, #thisis2016. https://t.co/FA5ChCrL5u
— Sabaa Tahir (@sabaatahir) October 9, 2016
@headsparks @michaelluo We were 1 of 3 Asian-American families in our school district. We were taunted every week for as long as I remember
— julie bausman (@JujyCakes) October 11, 2016
This yr in downtown CLE, a guy walks by me and screams "Get off my property Jap!" I was on a public street and I am Korean-Chinese American. https://t.co/C36zB7MMSf
— Sean Chin (@Sean__Chin) October 11, 2016
Even Mayor Bill de Blasio responded to Luo's story.
@michaelluo - Shouldn't have to affirm it, but EVERYONE belongs in NYC. What doesn't belong here are comments like you heard today. pic.twitter.com/8DvdLgdwhv
— Bill de Blasio (@BilldeBlasio) October 9, 2016
Photo: Photo of Tuesday's New York Times taken by Patch
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.