Schools

Board Of Education Increases In-Person Instructional Time, Charlotte-Mecklenburg

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education voted in an emergency meeting Oct. 1 to increase in-person instructional time.

10/1/2020

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education voted in an emergency meeting Oct. 1, 2020, to increase the in-person instructional time for K-5 students when they return to classrooms on Nov. 2, 2020.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Board approved modifications to the CMS Transition Plan for In-person and Remote Instruction (Plan B) so that K-5 students will be divided into two groups, instead of the previously approved three groups.

The first group of K-5 students will come to school on Monday and Tuesday of each week. The second group of K-5 students will come on Thursday and Friday of each week. Wednesdays are designated as remote-instruction days for all K-5 students. The initial transition plan called for dividing K-5 students into three groups, with each group attending school in person for one week, then having remote instruction for two weeks.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"This modification will increase the amount of face-to-face instructional time for our youngest learners," said Board Chairperson Elyse Dashew. "Like the earlier plan, it minimizes the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, but it also maximizes the time K-5 students have with their teachers. We think it's in the best interests of our students to give them greater opportunities to learn in the classroom while continuing to be mindful of local public health concerns."

The modified transition plan follows state guidelines for social distancing in schools. All students will be required to wear masks at school, as will school staff.

The Board vote followed the recommendation of Superintendent Earnest Winston.

"After comprehensive study of the in-person instructional plan, we have found a way to increase the time and frequency that K-5 students will spend with their teachers in the classroom," Winston said. "We will implement social-distancing in schools as much as possible and we'll focus on making sure everyone wears a mask and washes hands frequently to reduce the risk of infection. We have worked closely with our partners in the medical community to find a way to get our kids back into classrooms with a minimum of risk."

To see the full plan, click here.


This press release was produced by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. The views expressed are the author's own.

More from Charlotte