Politics & Government
Charlotte City Council Votes 6-5 In Support Of RNC Bid
Charlotte's City Council voted Monday to support its bid to bring the Republican National Convention to the Queen City in 2020.

CHARLOTTE, NC — In a vote that was distilled down to a battle between a massive influx of tourism dollars versus condemnation of contentious Trump Administration policies, Charlotte City Council voted Monday to support its bid to host the Republican National Convention in 2020.
The city’s bid for the event has stirred plenty of controversy, from the benefit of an economic windfall countered by the costs it would push onto tax payers for extra police and emergency service, to the potential for opening the door to civil unrest.
In a narrow vote, the council voted 6-5 to bring the event to Charlotte should RNC select it as a host city. That decision is expected later this week
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and others in favor of bringing the event to the Queen City, hosting such an event would bring an tourism dollars to the city and show an embracing of diversity. "This is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our city, our region and our state to the world," Lyles said earlier this year as the city considered making a bid for the event.
City leaders against the idea, however, cite divisive policies and statements from Donald Trump as reason enough to reject the event.
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Subscribe to Charlotte Patch's free email news alerts and newsletters
“To have our city open our arms to that and have this man and his supporters be in our taxpayer-funded arena and convention center and championing that type of rhetoric I think would be inappropriate," Council member Justin Harlow said, according to WFAE.
Six years ago, Charlotte hosted the Democratic National Convention, which city officials said brought about 35,000 visitors to the city, along with an estimated economic impact of $163 million
Las Vegas is the only other city making a bid for the RNC event.
That lack of competition for host city should raise red flags, Charlotte entrepreneur Dan Roselli told city officials, according to the Charlotte Observer. Roselli was one of about 100 community members who spoke before the city council took up debate Monday afternoon.
SEE ALSO: Charlotte Considering Bid For 2020 Republican National Convention
This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.
Watch the City Council's special meeting on the City of Charlotte's Facebook page found here.
Photo via Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.