Seasonal & Holidays

Coronavirus: Charlotte St. Patrick’s Day Parade Canceled

The decision to postpone Saturday's parade in Charlotte comes at the direction of city officials, event organizers said.

CHARLOTTE, NC — Charlotte’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade and Charlotte Goes Green Festival, which had been scheduled for Saturday, March 14, have been canceled.

“We were informed by the City of Charlotte today to postpone The Charlotte St. Patrick's Day Parade and Festival to a later date,” event organizers said March 12. “As always, thank you all for your support. While we are sad to announce the postponement, we want everyone to stay safe and healthy. Please check our website and Facebook page for future announcements.”

The annual event brings thousands of revelers to uptown Charlotte — the exact scenario state officials are warning against as the number of presumptive cases of the novel coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, increase around the country and state.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.


Don't miss updates about precautions in North Carolina as they are announced. Sign up for Patch news alerts and newsletters.


Earlier this week, Gov. Roy Cooper declared a state of emergency in North Carolina, and Thursday said gatherings should be no more than 100 people.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

As of Friday afternoon, there were 15 confirmed or presumed positive cases of the new coronavirus in seven counties around North Carolina, according to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. Those counties include: Mecklenburg, Cabbarus, Forsyth, Durham, Chatham, Wake and Johnston.

RELATED:

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Charlotte