Health & Fitness
Coronavirus In NC: New Cases Bring Total Up To 14
There are now 14 cases of the new coronavirus, or COVID-19, in North Carolina, public health officials said Thursday.
CHARLOTTE, NC — North Carolina has at least seven new presumptive positive cases of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, around the state, bring the state total up to 14, health officials announced Thursday.
Of the dozen cases, 13 are considered presumptive positive, which means they still must be confirmed by additional testing. One of the 14 cases has been confirmed positive by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Thursday afternoon, Mecklenburg County health officials announced that the emergence of COVID-19 in the Charlotte metro area with two presumptive positive results.
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“We are now in a situation where we could potentially have community spread,” said Gibbie Harris, Mecklenburg County Health Director, WSOC reported.
One new case was reported in Wake County Wednesday evening. According to health officials, that person is doing well and is isolating in their home. “This case is related to a traveler from Indiana who visited Biogen in Raleigh last week,” the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said.
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Stay up-to-date on the new coronavirus in North Carolina. Get Patch news alerts.
Last week, a Wake County man became North Carolina's first COVID-19 case, after he reportedly visited a long-term care facility at the center of an outbreak in Washington state.
Friday, a Chatham County man who recently returned from a trip to Northern Italy became the state's second case. The man is in isolation in his home and doing well, according to state health officials, the Charlotte Observer reported. The man initially experienced mild flu-like systems while traveling to an area of Italy experiencing a COVID-19 outbreak in late February, and flew back to the U.S. after his fever went away, the newspaper said.
By March 9, five additional cases were reported in Wake County — all linked to a Biogen biotechnology conference held in Boston in late February that has since been linked to at least 77 of 95 confirmed cases in Massachusetts.
State officials warned earlier this week that they expect to see a dramatic increase in the number of cases in North Carolina.
"I know there are other results coming," said Gov. Roy Cooper said Thursday morning. "This epidemic is going to get worse before it gets better, we all know that."
Cooper declared a state of emergency for North Carolina Tuesday.
The state of emergency declaration is a mechanism that will help speed supplies to the state, allow access to federal funds, provide emergency management personnel flexibility in responding and protects consumers from price gouging, Cooper said.
"I ask all North Carolinians to take this seriously," Cooper said. "Anyone can carry the virus to loved ones or friends who could become ill. Protecting public health means being cautious and being prepared."
SEE ALSO: Coronavirus Outbreak: Tips To Prepare At Home
The coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can cause mild to more severe respiratory illness. In a small proportion of patients, COVID-19 can cause death, particularly among those who are older or who have chronic medical conditions.
To lower the risk of contracting the novel coronavirus or spreading COVID-19, NCDHHS encourages the following behaviors:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Do not reuse tissue after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched.
Globally, more than 127,000 people have been infected and at least 4,700 people have died from the new coronavirus, Johns Hopkins reported the morning of March 12. Of that total, there have been 1,323 cases confirmed in the United States.
RELATED:
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.