Crime & Safety

Man Wanted In Charlotte Sexual Assault Case Found Dead In NYC

The victim told police the suspect sexually assaulted her minutes after she met him in January. He died five days later in New York City.

CHARLOTTE, NC — A 34-year-old man identified by Charlotte police as the suspect wanted in a January sexual assault in south Charlotte is dead, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said Monday.

A woman reported the Jan. 24 attack to CMPD, and said it occurred in the 2800 block of Youngblood Street shortly after 2 a.m., minutes after she met the suspect.

"The suspect also took her personal belongings," CMPD said. "The suspect ran away after a community member was alerted to the assault and called 9-1-1."

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

During the course of the investigation, detectives identified the male suspect at James Casique Roberts, 34. CMPD obtained warrants for his arrests for 2nd degree sex offense, 1st degree kidnapping, assault on a female, misdemeanor larceny and two counts of 2nd degree rape.

Investigators then learned through additional evidence that Roberts' last known location was New York City.

"As detectives actively worked with the New York Police Department (NYPD), they discovered that Roberts had been located deceased in New York City on January 29, 2021," CMPD said.

Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

CMPD said that anyone with information about this case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Charlotte