Community Corner
Ohio Officials Increase Funding For Rape Crisis Centers
Grant awards are being given to 32 rape crisis centers and agencies across the Buckeye State.
COLUMBUS, OH — The Ohio state budget has nearly tripled the grant funding for rape crisis centers throughout the state. Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost announced grant awards for 32 rape crisis facilities and agencies statewide on Tuesday.
“Women who have lived through the horrific act of rape will now have access to expanded services in every corner of our state,” Yost said. “This massive increase in funding to our local partners will improve lives moving forward.”
Yost's office is distributing $4.16 million in grant funding, up from $1.43 million last year. The boost in funding is a result of expanded funding for rape crisis facilities in the newly enacted state budget.
Find out what's happening in Clevelandfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
From 2014 to 2015, funding for rape crisis centers was about $1 million in the state budget. That number jumped to $1.43 million from 2016 to 2018, before spiking to $4.16 million in 2019. However, from 2014 to 2018, the number of sexually violent acts reported to law enforcement increased, as did counties providing rape crisis services.
“This funding increase is critical to helping rape survivors in Ohio,” said State Rep. Laura Lanese a Republican from Grove City and a cosponsor of the budget amendment that provided the increased funding. “All women should have access to the help they need regardless of where they live.”
Find out what's happening in Clevelandfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
In Northeast Ohio, the following facilities will receive a grant:
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Center — $120,774
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence — $416,000
- The Nord Center — $120,774
- Lake County Prosecutor — $120,774
- Rape Crisis Center of Medina and Summit Counties — $120,774
- Townhall II — $120,774
Individual grants to rape crisis centers can be found on the Attorney General's website.
“This increase will change the landscape of rape crisis services in our state and will positively impact the lives of thousands of Ohioans,” said Rosa Beltré, executive director of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence. “We are so thankful that the Ohio legislature and the Ohio Attorney General’s Office have made this decision to support survivors in Ohio and the advocates who serve them and to help put an end to sexual violence in our state.”
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.