Crime & Safety

Criminal Incidents Prior To Teacher's Killing Fabricated: Police

Strongsville Police announced on Facebook they believe incidents at the home of a murdered teacher, prior to her killing, were made up.

STRONGSVILLE, OH — Suspicious and criminal incidents at murdered school teacher Melinda Pleskovic's home, prior to her killing, are believed to have been fabricated, Strongsville Police Chief Mark Fender announced on Facebook Friday. Fender said in a post that those incidents are believed to have not occurred at all.

"In cooperation with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office, I am pleased to share that the previous incident reports made by Jeffrey William Scullin Jr. at the residence on Blazing Star were fabricated and did NOT occur," Fender wrote on Facebook.

Fender told Patch he is not currently able to say which incidents were fabricated. There were reports of incidents starting in June 2016, when teenagers were spotted loitering near the property. From there, the department received reports of items being stolen from cars in the driveway, individuals hanging around the house and people trying to break into the Pleskovic home.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Pleskovic was found shot and stabbed to death in her home Oct. 23. Some residents believed the 49-year-old's death may have been connected to previous incidents that had been reported at her home, including attempted break-ins and individuals seen loitering near the property.

Following the announcement of Pleskovic's death, the police department asked the public for patience and understanding, a request that was met with some resistance on social media. At that point, with no arrests made, some felt they may have been unsafe in their community.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Fender's announcement comes after Jeffrey Scullin, Pleskovic's son-in-law to-be, was arrested and charged with aggravated murder, tampering with evidence and making false alarms. It's that last portion, making false alarms, that Fender may be referring to when he says that previous reports of attempted break-ins at the Pleskovic home may have been fabricated.

"It is my hope and prayer this information will bring solace to each of you who lives, works or visits the City of Strongsville. Be assured, your police department will continue to work hard behind the scene to keep our community safe," Fender wrote on Facebook.

Fender said the department didn't want the public release of that information to hinder the investigation into Scullin and Pleskovic's death. With Scullin making his first appearance in court Friday, Fender clearly felt the time was now right to assuage the fears of the community.

The full social media post is below.

Photo from Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Strongsville