Crime & Safety

Overdose In Brunswick: Dealer Sentenced To Prison

It took more than a year, but the man that sold fentanyl to a Brunswick resident, who later overdosed and died, is going to prison.

BRUNSWICK, OH — It's been more than a year since a Brunswick man ingested fentanyl, overdosed and then died. The Brunswick man's dealer has finally been sentenced to 12 years in prison for his role in the man's death.

Rafael Jones, 40, previously pleaded guilty to distribution of fentanyl, resulting in a death. He also pleaded guilty to a firearms charge. He was sentenced to more than a decade in prison on Thursday.

Jones sold fentanyl to the Brunswick man on May 13, 2017. It was the same fentanyl the man later ingested and overdosed on, court documents said.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Law enforcement arrested Jones a month later, in Cleveland. He had a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun and ammunition in his possession. He was prohibited from having a weapon because of prior convictions for domestic violence and heroin trafficking, court documents said.

The Department of Justice in the Northern District of Ohio has said it is focused on bringing charges against drug dealers, particularly those that sell fentanyl. Indictments against narcotics offenders are at their highest number since 2005 — with 393 indictments filed.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"We have identified violent crime and drug overdoses as the biggest threats to our community," U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman said. "We have worked with local police and federal agencies to try to dismantle drug distribution networks, seek long prison sentences for those who use guns to commit crimes and strategically target those who have caused pain and suffering for our neighbors. Aggressive enforcement of the law is a crucial part of a broad strategy to improve our communities.”

The case against Jones was investigated by the Medina County Drug Task Force, DEA, Brunswick Police Department and with the assistance of the Medina County Coroner’s Office. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert F. Corts.

(For more news like this, find your local Patch here. If you have an iPhone, click here to get the free Patch iPhone app; download the free Patch Android app here. And like Patch on Facebook!)

Photo from Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Strongsville