Crime & Safety

Strongsville Murder Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

Jeffrey William Scullin Jr. has pleaded not guilty to Melinda Pleskovic's murder.

STRONGSVILLE, OH — Jeffrey William Scullin Jr., 20, has pleaded not guilty to the murder of 49-year-old Melinda Pleskovic, according to Fox 8. Scullin appeared in court Tuesday. He will make another court appearance Nov. 27.

Pleskovic was found shot and stabbed to death in her Strongsville home Oct. 24. Scullin was set to marry one of Pleskovic's daughters on Oct. 28 and was living with the family prior to Pleskovic's death.

Police arrested Scullin on Halloween. He was subsequently charged with her murder. His bond was set at $1 million.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael O'Malley released the indictment against Scullin last week. He is being charged with aggravated murder, murder, two counts of felonious assault, tampering with evidence, making false alarms, and endangering children.

The full indictment can be read here.

Find out what's happening in Strongsvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"The brutal murder of Melinda Pleskovic has been very difficult for her family and the Strongsville community,” said O’Malley in a statement after Scullin's indicment was handed down. “I hope they take comfort in the fact that when a crime of this nature occurs, local, state, and federal agencies close ranks and work together as one. I would like to thank the Strongsville Police Department, FBI, and Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office, as well as the employees of my office, whose efforts led us to today’s indictment."

Last week, Strongsville Police said some of the incidents reported at Pleskovic's home prior to her death may have been fabricated by Scullin. Strongsville Police Chief Mark Fender wouldn't tell Patch which specific events may have been falsified. He did however write the following on Facebook, "In cooperation with the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office, I am pleased to share that the previous incident reports made by Jeffrey William Scullin Jr. at the residence on Blazing Star were fabricated and did NOT occur," Fender wrote on Facebook.

There were reports of incidents starting in June 2016, when teenagers were spotted loitering near the property. From there, the department received reports of items being stolen from cars in the driveway, individuals hanging around the house and people trying to break into the Pleskovic home.

Photo from Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Strongsville