Schools

SFASD: Cafeteria, Jani-King and Finance Frustrations Receive Lengthy Discussions

Spring-Ford Area School District met for a regular meeting, where a heated discussion ensued about finances and the cafeteria.

Coordinator of Food Services Paula Germinario gave a presentation at Monday night's Spring-Ford Area School District board of education meeting. The presentation revealed the vision statement of the cafeterias and some information regarding day-to-day operations.

According to Germinario, there are a total of 27 full-time employees and 42 part-time employees at Spring-Ford's 12 schools.

She also noted lunch prices at the schools as $2.65 at the elementary schools and $2.85 at the middle schools and upper-level centers. Overall, the cafeteria staff issued more than 700,000 meals in 2010-11. However, Germinario said her staff must deal with the difficulty of menu planning within the budget.

Find out what's happening in Limerick-Royersford-Spring Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"By law, federal school lunches must provide one-third of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for key nutrients," her presentation said.

Board member Tom DiBello, who is also head of the finance committee for the district, expressed his frustration multiple times throughout the meeting. His main frustration was the fact that when the numbers for 2010-11 were , the cafeteria showed its first profit ($6,700) in years, but now the numbers have changed to show a $15,000 loss.

Find out what's happening in Limerick-Royersford-Spring Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Business Manager Tim Anspach confirmed that the $15,000 defecit is the correct number, but that the cafeteria staff is making progress to getting out of the hole. Germinario took over the position of coordinator of food services in March.

DiBello also gave a report from the Sept. 7 committee meeting for finances, where an even lengthier discussion and flat out argument ensued over custodial service company .

Many of the board members questioned if the projected $1 million in savings by switching to Jani-King would be realized. By switching to Jani-King, the schools cut the custodial staff back by 29 employees. Board President Joseph Ciresi said he did not originally agree with the "former administration's" decision to go with the company and that "they have been nothing but a thorn in our side."

"I still don't like or support the idea of Jani-King, but we have it and we have to deal with it," Ciresi said. "We better see that $1 million in savings."

Last week, Director of Planning, Operations and Facilities Bruce Cooper everything with Jani-King was fine. After Monday's meeting, he confirmed that and said he would have a full report on the company in October.

DiBello was upset because he clearly stated he wanted numbers comparing what the school spent last year for its own custodial staff, what the numbers would look like this year if they had kept that staff and what the numbers will be at the end of the year with Jani-King employed.

Anspach and board members David Shafer and Mark Denhert told DiBello the numbers he was asking for were on the spreadsheet given, but arguments still continued. Ciresi finally put a halt to the argument.

"Now, the public's perception is the board is clueless on the Jani-King issue," he said, to which the public applauded heavily. "We've been over this over and over and over again. The former administration sold this to us. Three of us voted no on this multiple times. We're embarassed by this. By October we want to see a real set of numbers. By the performance Jani-King is doing from what I hear, compared to the numbers you're showing, this isn't worth it."

DiBello said he spent many sleepless nights after voting in favor of Jani-King last year, but putting $1 million back into education was the favorable option for him. Now, he has doubts.

In other financial news, a presentation was given at the September committee meeting by Ron Faust of the Science in Motion program, who said the program could operate next year at $120,000. The program has been struggling financially.

DiBello reported Faust received a $50,000 grant for the program and that the finance committee is recommending giving $15,000 to it if Faust can raise the additional $55,000 funds from the other sending schools. According to board member Ed Dressler, Faust has contacted Downingtown West, which sends the second most kids, and they have committed, although a number has not yet been released. No word has been given from Owen J. Roberts yet.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.