Crime & Safety
New Lane Changes On Newport Pell Bridge Start Tuesday
It's a go. The traffic will move to the opposite side of the bridge, starting Tuesday.

NEWPORT, RI — The traffic pattern on the Newport Pell Bridge is about to change. Since the beginning of June, cars have been funneled into single lanes on the eastbound side, so work on the westbound side of the bridge could go ahead. Now, the first phase of the project is over, the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority said last week.
"The contractor has removed the concrete deck down to the rebar and fresh concrete has been poured," RITBA said. If it passes "official testing," the contractor will switch over to do the work on the bridge's east said. That means, the single lanes will be moved to the opposite side of the bridge — the side with the new concrete deck — so construction can start on the east side.
Monday morning, RITBA confirmed the switchover will happen on Tuesday.
Find out what's happening in Newportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"This switchover of construction and traffic will depend on weather and temperatures through the weekend, as these factors will affect the time it takes for the concrete to harden," RITBA originally said. The concrete did harden and pass the official tests.
The single lanes are supposed to go away on June 29 until Sept. 19.
Find out what's happening in Newportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Image via Shutterstock
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.