Crime & Safety

Newport Man Charged With Failing To Register As A Sex Offender

Prosecutors say Nelson Yocute, a Guatemalan national, has lived in Newport for the last nine years, even though he was deported in 2014.

NEWPORT, RI — A previously deported Guatemalan national, who had been living in Newport for the last nine years, is facing charges in federal court after prosecutors said he illegally re-entered the United States and failed to register as a sex offender.

Nelson Yocute, 34, was deported in 2014 after he was convicted on second-degree sexual assault charges. He has since been charged with illegally re-entering the United States after deportation and failing to register as a sex offender, U.S. Attorney Zachary Cunha said.

According to court documents, Yocute returned to the United States after the conviction and had been living and working in Newport for the last nine years.

Find out what's happening in Newportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Yocute made an initial appearance in U.S. District Court on Tuesday, and was ordered detained in federal custody.

Have a news tip? Email jimmy.bentley@patch.com.

Find out what's happening in Newportfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.