Crime & Safety

3 Plead Guilty In Grandparent Scam Targeting Rhode Island Seniors

The scheme defrauded more than a dozen seniors out of $350,000, officials said Tuesday.

PROVIDENCE, RI — Three people pleaded guilty this week to participating in a "grandparent scam" that defrauded more than a dozen Rhode Island seniors out of approximately $350,000, U.S. Attorney Zachary Cunha announced Tuesday.

According to officials, the victims — who ranged from 79 to 94 years old — were contacted by telephone by callers impersonating family members or attorneys. The callers then falsely told the victims that a loved one had been arrested after being involved in a car accident and needed cash for bail, officials said in a news release. Officials said the victims were then told to gather the money and give it to a courier who would come to their homes.

Jason Hatcher, 40, of New York City; and Bryan Valdez-Espinosa, 22, and Diego A. Alarcon, 22, both of Union City, New Jersey, admitted that in June 2021, they traveled to New England to participate in the scam, according to federal officials.

Find out what's happening in Providencefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

According to court documents, the victims were scammed out of a total of $350,815. In at least one instance, a family member intervened, which led to the arrest of Valdez-Espinosa, who was posing as a courier.

Scammers were able to defraud the victims out of amounts ranging from $9,500 and $85,000, officials said.

Find out what's happening in Providencefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Hatcher pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud and aggravated identity theft, officials said. Alarcon and Valdez-Espinosa each pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud. All three men will be sentenced Oct. 11.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.