Crime & Safety

Before Bellevue Mosque Arson, Suspect Made Death Threat: Police

Days before the latest fire at the Islamic Center of Eastside, Carlos Diaz-Cruz allegedly threatened a Sammamish High School student.

BELLEVUE, WA - Days before he allegedly started a fire that burned the Islamic Center of Eastside, Carlos Diaz-Cruz allegedly threatened to kill a Sammamish High School student, going so far as to brandish a gun, according to court records.

Diaz-Cruz, 18, a former Sammamish High School student, is being held in the King County Jail on $250,000 bail on an arson charge. According to Bellevue police, Diaz-Cruz is a transient who has prior convictions for assault, theft, and malicious mischief.

Firefighters put out a large fire at the Islamic Center of Eastside on the afternoon of March 21 - the second time the building had been burned since January 2017. During a search after the fire, investigators found evidence that people had been using the derelict building as a hang-out spot.

Find out what's happening in Bellevuefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Using footage from surveillance cameras near the mosque, police identified three suspects, including Diaz-Cruz. Under questioning, one of the three suspects told police that Diaz-Cruz had set a pile of toilet paper on fire inside the mosque, according to court records. The fire got out of control, and the teens fled the building.

Under questioning, Diaz-Cruz told police he was "being stupid" when he lit the fire and was not acting with malice toward Islam.

Find out what's happening in Bellevuefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

About a week before the mosque fire, Diaz-Cruz contacted a Sammamish High School student through Facebook. Diaz-Cruz thought the student was a "snitch" and had gotten one of his friends suspended from school. During the Facebook exchange, according to records, Diaz-Cruz allegedly sent a photograph of a himself grasping a handgun. He was arrested on March 14 for that threat, according to police.

The friend that was suspended - the one Diaz-Cruz allegedly made the threat for - ended up being the one who told police about Diaz-Cruz allegedly setting the fire inside the Islamic Center of Eastside, according to court records.

Image courtesy Bellevue fire

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Bellevue