Crime & Safety

27 Suspects Sought After AutoZone Ransacked During East LA Street Takeovers

Detectives released new surveillance images after the East Los Angeles business was burglarized twice in two days.

Photos of two of the suspects released by the Sheriff's Department.
Photos of two of the suspects released by the Sheriff's Department. (Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department)

EAST LOS ANGELES, CA — Detectives are asking for the public's help identifying 16 additional suspects accused of breaking into an East Los Angeles AutoZone, the second burglary at the store in two days in which a total of 27 suspects are wanted, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The latest break-in happened at about 3:30 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 9, at the AutoZone on the 1130 block of South Atlantic Boulevard, sheriff's officials said.

Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The group forced its way into the business and carried out what investigators described as a "coordinated, mob-like burglary," causing significant losses and damage, according to the Sheriff's Department.

Investigators believe the 16 suspects may also have taken part in a burglary at the same store the previous day during a street takeover.

Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The Sheriff's Department released surveillance images taken from footage recovered from the business. In total, photos of 27 suspects have been released in sheriff's bulletins.

The first burglary happened at about 2:22 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 8, when one person shattered the store's glass entry doors before 10 others went inside, KTLA reported.

Sheriff's officials previously told KTLA that a street takeover was underway near Olympic and Atlantic boulevards at the time and that spectators were believed to have ransacked the store.

Another street takeover was reported in the same area the following morning before some people left the gathering and entered the AutoZone, where items were stolen, KTLA reported.

The East Los Angeles store was one of several AutoZone locations targeted amid street takeover activity across the Los Angeles area that weekend. Break-ins were also reported at stores in Watts, Downey and Long Beach, according to KTLA.

Anyone who recognizes any of the suspects or has information about the burglaries was asked to contact East Los Angeles Station Detective Luu or the on-duty watch commander at 323-264-4151.

Anonymous tips can be submitted to Crime Stoppers online or at 800-222-8477.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.