Crime & Safety
Kim Kardashian's Driver Among 17 Detained In Paris Robbery: Report
Kim Kardashian's chauffeur and 16 others have been detained in connection to an armed robbery that left the star pleading for her life.
LOS ANGELES, CA — Kim Kardashian's chauffeur in Paris and 16 other people were reportedly detained by French police investigating last year's armed robbery in which Kardashian was bound and gagged in her Paris hotel room.
Police detained the suspects Monday for questioning about the robbery in which men apparently held a gun to Kardashian's head, tying her up, taping her mouth and making off with of jewels and cash worth $10 million in October, a spokesman for the Paris prosecutor told CNN.
The 17 people held for questioning are between the ages of 23 and 73 and can be held for up to 96 hours for questioning, the prosecutor said.
Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The detentions came as "a nice surprise," Kardashian's French lawyer Jean Veil told the French magazine L'Express.
"On the one hand, it will perhaps mean the jewels will be recovered and on the other hand it puts an end to disgraceful speculation by some people, who thought it clever to pretend this robbery was a set-up or a publicity stunt by Madame Kardashian," Veil said.
Find out what's happening in Los Angelesfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The robbery took place in October when Kardashian was in Paris for Fashion Week when the robbery occurred.
The French Interior Ministry has said five men threatened the concierge at the hotel mansion where Kardashian was staying with a weapon, handcuffed him and forced him to open the private apartment. Two of the robbers gained entry to Kardashian's room, and a gun was held to her head, the Paris prosecutor's office has said.
A source familiar with the situation told CNN that Kardashian pleaded for her life as she was threatened with the gun, and was bound and forced into a bathtub. Tape was placed over her mouth.
The men took two cell phones and jewelry worth millions of dollars, according to the Interior Ministry.
The prosecutor's office said a ring worth an estimated 4 million euros ($4.5 million) and a jewelry box with contents worth about 5 million euros ($5.6 million) were stolen, CNN reported.
Kardashian has not given any interviews about the incident. But the incident is expected to feature prominently during the next season of "Keeping Up with the Kardashians."
City News Service and Patch staffer Paige Austin contributed to this report. Photo Eva Rinaldi via Wikimedia Commons
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.